Amanda-Users

Re: tuning amanda

2004-11-17 09:27:09
Subject: Re: tuning amanda
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Kai Zimmer <kai AT zimmer DOT net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:23:43 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 at 2:37pm, Kai Zimmer wrote

> > As it stands, you don't almost gain anything by
> > parallelizing DLEs:
> > > Run Time (hrs:min)        110:57
> > > Dump Time (hrs:min)       120:52
>
> Sorry, i didn't completely understand that. Run time can't be lower
> than dump time, so parallelizing will gain max. 10h ?

I think what he was saying is that your dump time is not much higher than
your run time, therefore amanda's inherent parallelization isn't gaining
you much.  "Run time" is the wall clock time from the time you start
'amdump' until the time it finishes.  "Dump time" is the total time spent
by all the DUMP programs amanda runs.  Since many DUMPs can be run at
once, "dump time" *can be* significantly higher than run time -- the
higher the ratio, the more efficient amanda is running.  If there are ways
you can improve your parallelization, your run time may go down.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering