Amanda-Users

Re: dumpcycle / runspercycle / tapecycle best practices?

2004-11-03 16:27:25
Subject: Re: dumpcycle / runspercycle / tapecycle best practices?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Erik Anderson <erikerik AT gmail DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 15:24:43 -0600

--On Wednesday, November 03, 2004 14:44:55 -0600 Erik Anderson <erikerik AT
gmail DOT com> wrote:

> Greetings - I'm just starting to get Amanda set up.  I have a 5-tape
> DLT7000 changer.  I've been going back and forth about how to
> structure my backup policies.
>
> The amount of data that will be being backed up is around 10 gigs.
> The DLTIV tapes I'm using should hold around 30 gigs, according to
> amtapetype.  I have a ton of tapes to work with - approximately 80
> tapes.  Because of the relatively small amount of data I'm working
> with and the large number of tapes, I figure that I might as well do a
> full backup every night.  Would this make sense?

It wil make restores simpler.  The only reason I can think of to
consider not doing it would be if you had a very short backup window or
very slow network link between clients and server.  Otherwise I'd go
for the fulls every day.

> That's my first question.  My second question is how to implement this
> in my amanda.conf.  I believe the following should be correct, but I
> wanted to run it by the list to see if there are any improvements:

> dumpcycle 1 day
> runspercycle 1 day

runspercycle has no units, it just the number of runs per dumpcycle,
so just make it 1.

> tapecycle 28 days
>
> If I'm thinking correctly, this will force Amanda to do a full backup
> every night, and I'll have 28 days worth of full backups in the cycle.
>  Correct?

To make doubly sure, you could define allways-full in your dumptype.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673