Amanda-Users

Re: dumpcycle / runspercycle / tapecycle best practices?

2004-11-03 16:47:16
Subject: Re: dumpcycle / runspercycle / tapecycle best practices?
From: Erik Anderson <erikerik AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 15:37:11 -0600
On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 15:24:43 -0600, Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
wrote:
> It wil make restores simpler.  The only reason I can think of to
> consider not doing it would be if you had a very short backup window or
> very slow network link between clients and server.  Otherwise I'd go
> for the fulls every day.

Sounds like fulls are the way to go...my backup window is not a
problem, and the systems are all connected via switched 10/100
ethernet, so that shouldn't be an issue either.

> runspercycle has no units, it just the number of runs per dumpcycle,
> so just make it 1.

Sweet - thanks.

> To make doubly sure, you could define allways-full in your dumptype.

That's good to know - I'll put that into my dumptype.