Amanda-Users

How do I run multiple parallel samba DLEs?

2004-10-28 18:54:48
Subject: How do I run multiple parallel samba DLEs?
From: Kevin Dalley <kevin AT kelphead DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:50:21 -0700
A large number of the machines which I back up are Windows machines.
I use samba to get to the data.  Some of the backed up machines are
Linux boxes.

When I run amdump, the Linux machines are run in parallel, which 4
dumpers running at once, since inparallel is set to 4.  However, only
one samba dumper runs at a time, even though I have set maxdumps to 4
for the dumptypes used by the samba DLEs.

All of the samba DLEs are run from localhost.  They also tend to be
slower than the Linux DLEs.

What am I missing?

Here are parts of my amanda.conf.  I hope I have included the
important parts:

inparallel 4            # maximum dumpers that will run in parallel

define interface eth0 {
        use 100 Mbps
}

define dumptype root-sambatar {
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "Root partitions dumped with tar"
    options index
    compress server best
    maxdumps 4
    priority low
}

define dumptype user-sambatar {
    comment "User partitions dumped with samba"
    root-sambatar
    priority medium
}

Disklist includes these samba lines, as well as many other, a number
of Linux lines:

localhost //pigeon/c$ root-sambatar eth0
localhost //pigeon/d$ user-sambatar eth0
localhost //pigeon/e$ user-sambatar eth0

localhost //redbird/c$ root-sambatar eth0
localhost //redbird/f$ user-sambatar eth0
localhost //redbird/g$ user-sambatar eth0
localhost //redbird/i$ user-sambatar eth0
localhost //redbird/j$ user-sambatar eth0
localhost //redbird/k$ user-sambatar eth0
localhost //redbird/l$ user-sambatar eth0

--
Kevin Dalley
kevin AT kelphead DOT org