Amanda-Users

Re: How do I run multiple parallel samba DLEs?

2004-10-28 19:10:55
Subject: Re: How do I run multiple parallel samba DLEs?
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:07:01 +0200
Kevin Dalley,

on Freitag, 29. Oktober 2004 at 00:50 you wrote to amanda-users:

KD> Disklist includes these samba lines, as well as many other, a number
KD> of Linux lines:

KD> localhost //pigeon/c$ root-sambatar eth0
KD> localhost //pigeon/d$ user-sambatar eth0
KD> localhost //pigeon/e$ user-sambatar eth0

KD> localhost //redbird/c$ root-sambatar eth0
KD> localhost //redbird/f$ user-sambatar eth0
KD> localhost //redbird/g$ user-sambatar eth0
KD> localhost //redbird/i$ user-sambatar eth0
KD> localhost //redbird/j$ user-sambatar eth0
KD> localhost //redbird/k$ user-sambatar eth0
KD> localhost //redbird/l$ user-sambatar eth0

KD> What am I missing?

This REALLY hurts me, especially tonight, as I am spending my time
with updating the AMANDA-docs ...

PLEASE GET AWAY FROM USING LOCALHOST !!!

-- sigh --

AMANDA 2.4.4p4 has a WARNING for this no-no ..

KD> When I run amdump, the Linux machines are run in parallel, which 4
KD> dumpers running at once, since inparallel is set to 4.  However, only
KD> one samba dumper runs at a time, even though I have set maxdumps to 4
KD> for the dumptypes used by the samba DLEs.

KD> Here are parts of my amanda.conf.  I hope I have included the
KD> important parts:

KD> inparallel 4            # maximum dumpers that will run in parallel

If there are 4 dumpers active for the Linux-clients, you have already
used up the maximum number of clients that you have specified by
setting "inparallel" to 4.

Increase this parameter (I have used a value of 12 on a PentiumII
happily) and PLEASE get rid of using "localhost".

;-)

best regards,
Stefan G. Weichinger