Amanda-Users

Re: amanda still doesn't have EOT properly?

2004-10-25 18:38:27
Subject: Re: amanda still doesn't have EOT properly?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, amanda-hackers AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:30:50 -0400
On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 02:53:19PM -0700, Joe Rhett wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 03:29:52PM -0500, Frank Smith wrote:
>
> No other tape program that I am aware of will throw away the entire tape
> full of backups because it hit end of tape.  And the vast majority will
> just stream data until EOT, and then restart the current block on the next
> tape.  This particular failure mode seems to be archiac at this point.

You have used amanda long enough to know a basic design element of
amanda is that each DLE must fit on a single tape.

> Why aren't we past this?

Because you haven't written the code to do it.  :)

There is an effort underway to optionally allow splitting of
DLE's.  I don't know if the authors would consider it to the
alpha state yet.  If you care to contribute, check out the
posts by John Stange on amanda hackers.

> In particular, the alpha documentation for amanda indicates that amanda
> will move on to the next tape for EOT -- this apparently isn't true at all.

Huh?  If my taper runs hit EOT and the number of runtapes has not
yet been exceeded, it tries the DLE on the next tape.  Your posted
results look to me like your tape is too.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)