Amanda-Users

Re: newb: getting started

2004-10-14 17:35:59
Subject: Re: newb: getting started
From: Erik Anderson <erikerik AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:25:01 -0500
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:20:37 -0500, Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
wrote:
> Next step would be getting your changer working without Amanda. If you
> are going to use mtx make sure you can load, unload and move tapes with
> that before starting on Amanda.

Hello Frank, and thanks for the advice.  I'm working through the
Amanda chapter, and it's starting to make more and more sense. In the
meantime, I'm trying to get my head around mtx.  I've been able to
successfully load a tape and check the status of the media changer,
but I'm not able to unload tapes.  I read in the mtx man page that I
may need to do a "mt offline" before unloading tapes, but whenever I
do that, I get the following error:

lpdlnx00 etc # mt -f /dev/sg2 offline
/dev/sg2: Operation not permitted

Here's what the changer currently looks like:

lpdlnx00 etc # mtx -f /dev/sg1 status
  Storage Changer /dev/sg1:1 Drives, 6 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 1 Loaded)
      Storage Element 1:Empty
      Storage Element 2:Full
      Storage Element 3:Full
      Storage Element 4:Full