Amanda-Users

tar/gzip problems on restore (CRC error, "Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers"...)

2004-10-13 06:09:26
Subject: tar/gzip problems on restore (CRC error, "Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers"...)
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:01:29 +0200
I'm having serious problems with full restore of a GNUTAR dump. Simply put, if I do amrestore, then tar xvf <dump file>, tar will exit with

tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

after extracting most, but not all, files - if the amanda index is anything to go by. There is a significant delay between the two first and last error messages, which leads me to believe that there is more data, but tar just doesn't understand it. I get the same behaviour if I extract files using amrecover instead of amrestore + tar. Also, I actually have two dumps of the filesystem in question: One on tape and one on harddisk (well, I have more than one tape, too, but the others are stored elsewhere.) Both fail in the manner described above, but at different points. Also notice the following behaviour when unpacking the harddisk dump in a more direct manner:

# dd if=/dumps/mirror/d4/data/00013.fileserv._scanner2_Hoyde.6 bs=32k skip=1 | tar -xvpzkf -

[ file extract info skipped ]

tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
37800+0 records in
37800+0 records out

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
tar: Child returned status 1

All this with amanda 2.4.4p1 with server on Linux and clients on SGI IRIX as well as Linux; I've tried unpacking on both platforms.

HELP!!!!

- Toralf