Amanda-Users

Re: tar/gzip problems on restore (CRC error, "Archive contains obsolescentbase-64 headers"...)

2004-10-13 12:35:18
Subject: Re: tar/gzip problems on restore (CRC error, "Archive contains obsolescentbase-64 headers"...)
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:32:47 -0400
On Wednesday 13 October 2004 11:07, Toralf Lund wrote:
>Jean-Francois Malouin wrote:
>> [ snip ]
>>
>>>Actually, I'm starting to suspect that gzip itself is causing the
>>>problem. Any known issues, there? The client in question does have
>>> a fairly old version, 1.2.4, I think (that's the latest one
>>> supplied by SGI, unless they have upgraded it very recently.)
>>
>>Honestly, I missed the earlier post in this thread...
>>Which version of tar are you using? I've used the SGI provided gzip
>>for a long time and never experienced that behaviour...
>>
>>#~> /usr/sbin/gzip -h
>>gzip 1.2.4 (18 Aug 93)
>>
>>#~> uname -R
>>6.5 6.5.19f
>>
>>[...snip...]
>
>The fun part here is that I have two different tars and two
> different gzips - the ones supplied with the OS and "SGI freeware"
> variants installed on /usr/freeware (dowloaded from
> http://freeware.sgi.com/)
>
>Both incarnations of gzip return the same version string as the one
> you included above
>
>/usr/freeware/bin/tar is
>
>tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25
>

>Not sure how to get version string from /usr/bin/tar, but I have
>
># uname -R
>6.5 6.5.16f
>
>Based on the dump file headers, I would assume that /usr/freeware
>variants are used for both tar and gzip. Actually, maybe that one is
>*required* by Amanda, since it wants GNU tar, and the one on
> /usr/bin is not, as far as I can tell. Perhaps there wasn't really
> any point in installing "freeware" version of gzip, or will Amanda
> make assumptions about binary locations?
>
>>>- T
>>
>>jf
You can tell amanda in the ./configuration options given, where the
correct tar actually lives and it will be hardcoded into it.  And to
get the version from the other tar, "/usr/bin/tar --version" should
work, and if its not 1.13-19 or newer, use the other one that is -25
on your system.

Also, the gzip here is 1.3.3, dated in 2002.  There may have been
fixes to it, probably in the >2GB file sizes areas.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: