Amanda-Users

Re: tar/gzip problems on restore (CRC error, "Archive contains obsolescentbase-64 headers"...)

2004-10-13 10:14:01
Subject: Re: tar/gzip problems on restore (CRC error, "Archive contains obsolescentbase-64 headers"...)
From: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
To: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:54:36 -0400
* Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com> [20041013 09:43]:
> Alexander Jolk wrote:
>
> >Toralf Lund wrote:
> >

> >>tar: Skipping to next header
> >>tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
> >>37800+0 records in
> >>37800+0 records out
> >>
> >>gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
> >>tar: Child returned status 1
> >>tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
> >>

> >I've had the same message from tar on what were apparently erroneous
> >backups.  I believe the `obsolescent base-64 header' message is what you
> >get whenever tar's input is corrupted, which seems to be confirmed by
> >gzip's `crc error'.
> >
> I was hoping you wouldn't say that ;-( But yes, I guess it's likely that
> the actual backup is corrupted.
>
> > I'd venture to say your backups are hosed; if that
> >arrives systematically, you might want to investigate your SCSI chain.
> >

> Well, yes, I've now found that I do get this for different dump files
> (but not all of them), so I guess some serious problem with the setup is
> likely. I don't think SCSI-issues is likely to be the cause, though,
> since I get the same kind of problem with harddisk dumps as well as
> tapes, and as it now turns out, also for holding disk files. And the
> disks and tape drive involved aren't even on the same chain.
>
> Actually, I'm starting to suspect that gzip itself is causing the
> problem. Any known issues, there? The client in question does have a
> fairly old version, 1.2.4, I think (that's the latest one supplied by
> SGI, unless they have upgraded it very recently.)

Honestly, I missed the earlier post in this thread...
Which version of tar are you using? I've used the SGI provided gzip
for a long time and never experienced that behaviour...

#~> /usr/sbin/gzip -h
gzip 1.2.4 (18 Aug 93)

#~> uname -R
6.5 6.5.19f