Amanda-Users

Re: new to me

2004-08-27 14:59:11
Subject: Re: new to me
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:51:41 -0400
Jon,

I love living on the cutting edge.

I once coded a routine that referenced itself... explained to my
manager that you'd need to screw up 16 times before the interpreter
(DCL interpreter under v4.x) would reach its limit and that that
would never happen in practice.

He say down at my keyboard and entered 17 failures in a row and
told me to fix it... Of course that never would have happend if
I hadn't "documented the feature" but simply never revealed the bug.

Ok - I'm not gonna worry about this error, probably a really really
odd way of telling me I ran out of tape which isn't a surprise.

                                                thanks,

                                                Brian

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 02:37:17PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 10:57:45AM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> >
> > I'm not concerned about the /usr14 error, the disk isn't currently
> > spinning, however the "fatal buffer mismanagement bug" error is
> > interesting, especially since we only have amanda configured to use
> > a single tape (the server does not have a jukebox).
> >

> I have no answer for you, but thought this was amusing:
>
> Your error message appears only one place in the source code I grep'ed.
> It appears in taper.c's read_file function.  Specifically in an
> if clause that begins as follows:
>
>    if(bp->status != EMPTY || bufnum != bp-buftable) {
>         /* XXX this SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.  Famous last words. */
>

> The author had it exactly right, Famous last words!
>
> jl
> --
> Jon H. LaBadie                  jon AT jgcomp DOT com
>  JG Computing
>  4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
>  Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org