Amanda-Users

Re: sendbackup file renaming failure

2004-08-26 10:07:06
Subject: Re: sendbackup file renaming failure
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:04:54 +0200
Brian Cuttler wrote:

My site recently (last week) had a similar problem to what Mitch
experienced. My site did see 100% occupancy on the partition - but
I'd expected an underlying "# mv" on the same partition to not require
any real additional-space. Is this not the mechanism or is the rename
in some way more complicated ?

A "rename" system call does not need additional space indeed. But
the actual error message was "No such file or directory", indicating
that the to-be-renamed .new file did not exist at that point.

For a level zero backup, amanda creates an empty .new file,
and hands this over to gnutar.  Gnutar should have filled the file
with the needed information.  Somehow it got deleted.
Nor the source of amanda 2.4.4p3, nor the source of tar-1.13.25
contains code that does this.  Gnutar would have given an error
message "Cannot write /the/file.new: No space on device"
in that case (or "Cannot close ..." if the diskfull happens in
the last buffer).

Or maybe the gnutar-wrapper for afs does it, if it detects that
gnutar has a non-zero exit code?

In that case I would expect to find the error string thar tar
produced in the relevant /tmp/amanda/runtar.XXXX.debug file.
But the wrapper could have done anything with the error message;
I would have to verify the wrapper script.