Amanda-Users

Re: sendbackup file renaming failure

2004-08-26 04:12:21
Subject: Re: sendbackup file renaming failure
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Mitch Collinsworth <mitch AT ccmr.cornell DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:04:38 +0200
Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

Today one of my dumps failed in an unusual manner.

After the dump finished and the index was completed, I received the
following error:

error [renaming /var/adm/amanda/gnutar-lists/usda01afs:usda01_b_.*.backup_0.new
to /var/adm/amanda/gnutar-lists/usda01afs:usda01_b_.*.backup_0: No such file or
directory]

I guess the '*' in the message above is a placeholder for the real
name?  Or is this the real filename?

Even then, where is the '.backup' coming from?  My gnutar-lists are
named:  hostname_disk_0  (with the last 0 indicating the level,
and any '/' in the hostname or disk is replaced with a '_').
There is no place for a '.*.backup' in that scheme.

Or does that has something to do with some afs modifications, as
the name of the host suggests?

Somehow this was sufficient for the dump to "fail".  Therefore it was
deleted from the holding disk rather than copied to tape.  [Grr..!]

The difference between success and failure of a backup is indeed a gray
area, instead of a sharp line.  This one is just on the boundary.
The next dump would have trouble anyway because it wouldn't have a
gnutar-list to base its incremental dumps on.  That would result in
a full dump, which is indeed a good fallback in that case.

In roughly 5 years of using amanda I have never seen this happen before.

Me neither.

This is 2.4.3b3.

Try an upgrade to 2.4.4p3, at least on that client.

Any ideas what would cause this?

If you have an explanation for the ".*.backup" in the name...?