Amanda-Users

Re: sendbackup file renaming failure

2004-08-26 09:20:37
Subject: Re: sendbackup file renaming failure
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Jim Summers <jsummers AT bachman.cs.ou DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:15:13 -0400
Jim,

My site recently (last week) had a similar problem to what Mitch
experienced. My site did see 100% occupancy on the partition - but
I'd expected an underlying "# mv" on the same partition to not require
any real additional-space. Is this not the mechanism or is the rename
in some way more complicated ?

Failing the dump or having to go direct to tape I'd have understood
but not the failure of a rename command.

                                                thanks,

                                                Brian

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 08:12:11PM -0500, Jim Summers wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 19:53, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:
> > Today one of my dumps failed in an unusual manner.
> >
> > After the dump finished and the index was completed, I received the
> > following error:
> >
> > error [renaming
> > /var/adm/amanda/gnutar-lists/usda01afs:usda01_b_.*.backup_0.new
> > to /var/adm/amanda/gnutar-lists/usda01afs:usda01_b_.*.backup_0: No such
> > file or
> > directory]
> >
> > Somehow this was sufficient for the dump to "fail".  Therefore it was
> > deleted from the holding disk rather than copied to tape.  [Grr..!]
> > In roughly 5 years of using amanda I have never seen this happen before.
> >
> > This is 2.4.3b3.
> >
> > Any ideas what would cause this?
>
> Just a guess, but possibly the fs involved has reached 100% capacity?
>

> > -Mitch
> --
> Jim Summers <jsummers AT cs.ou DOT edu>
> University of Oklahoma-Computer Scence

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org