Amanda-Users

Re: Restore buffer?

2004-08-25 14:24:16
Subject: Re: Restore buffer?
From: KEVIN ZEMBOWER <KZEMBOWE AT jhuccp DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:22:50 -0400
I have never bothered setting up or using the restore component of Amanda
(amrestore). I dd the backup from the tape, uncompress if necessary and pipe to
restore or tar -x. I put the restored file in my (root or amanda) directory and
could then compare it to the existing file if I wanted to. In this sense,
amanda can do what you require. This is done by a (skilled?) administrator,
however. If users needed to do this, it might be too complex and done too
infrequently for them to do without error.

Hope this helps.

-Kevin

-----
E. Kevin Zembower
Unix Administrator
Johns Hopkins University/Center for Communications Programs
111 Market Place, Suite 310
Baltimore, MD  21202
410-659-6139

>>> Darren Landrum <dlandrum AT co.montrose.co DOT us> 08/25/04 01:32PM >>>
I am in charge of seeting up a new backup server for the County of Montrose,
CO. My boss has asked me to put together a system that will allow us to
buffer a restore job (say, grabbing a file from tape) before sending the file
back to its proper place on a server.

The reason he feels this is necessary is so we can look at a file restored
from tape before we destroy anything that might be on the server proper. That
way, it can be confirmed by the user that this is indeed the file(s) they
need restored before we commit to the final action.

Is Amanda capable of this kind of operation?

Thank you very much for your time.

--
Regards,
Darren Landrum