Amanda-Users

Re: Sun Solaris stops compiling

2004-08-19 14:09:42
Subject: Re: Sun Solaris stops compiling
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Todd Zenker <toddz2000 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:06:22 -0400
On Thursday 19 August 2004 09:47, Todd Zenker wrote:
>When I run ./configure --with-user=amanda --with-group=disk, I dont
>get an error, I get a command prompt right after the config.status:
>executing depfiles commands.
>
>It looks like I can start to run make, but there is no make to run.
>I know this is a simple thing becuase a ran into the same problem a
>long long time ago and don't remember what I did...
>
>I'm getting to old to remember what I did last week.

Join the crowd Todd, I'll be 70 in 6 weeks.

>My shell is BASH.  I put almost every path I can thin of the script
>would use.  Not sure what else.

One thing I do is use a script to configure and make amanda.  I post
it occasionally, and it looks something like this (verify that the
compiler tools are included in your $PATH too of course)
----------------
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
        echo "but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-tape-device=/dev/nst0 \
        --with-changer-device=/dev/sg1 \
        --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=coyote.coyote.den \
        --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda

make
------------
clip it, set the execute bits, and edit to fit your scenario.

The depfiles error/hang says theres something wrong with the $PATH or
the permissions of whats in the $PATH to me, sitting here making
SWAG's about others problems (about which I've been shown to not have
a clue from time to time :-( ).

>Any more ideas??? Let me know
>Thanks
>Todd
>
>On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:37:16 +0200, Paul Bijnens
>
><paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com> wrote:
>> todd zenker wrote:
>> > I'm trying to compile the amanda-2.4.4.p1 client on Solaris 9
>> > and it stops at config.status: executing depfiles commands.
>>
>> Define "stop".
>> Any message?
>> Does it simply hang?  For how long did you wait?
>> Do you get a shell prompt back? After how long?
>>
>> Is the program waiting for some unresponsive network filesystems?
>>
>> If you're compiling anyway, why did you choose an old version?
>> Current stable is 2.4.4p3.
>
>I have had problems with this old version until now.  hahahehe...
>
>> Does "configure" of other programs (e.g. gnutar) behave the same?
>>
>> > Any ideas what I need to do???
>>
>> More coffee?

And that occasionally helps...

>> --
>> Paul Bijnens, Xplanation                            Tel  +32 16
>> 397.511 Technologielaan 21 bus 2, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM    Fax
>> +32 16 397.512 http://www.xplanation.com/          email:
>> Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: