Amanda-Users

Re: Sun Solaris stops compiling

2004-08-19 11:13:37
Subject: Re: Sun Solaris stops compiling
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Todd Zenker <toddz2000 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:09:53 +0200
Todd Zenker wrote:

When I run ./configure --with-user=amanda --with-group=disk, I dont
get an error, I get a command prompt right after the config.status:
executing depfiles commands.

I get this output (it could be different when ran the very first
time, of after "make distclean"):

... lots of lines...
config.status: creating tape-src/Makefile
config.status: creating config/Makefile
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating config/config.h
config.status: config/config.h is unchanged
config.status: executing common-src/amanda-int.h commands
config.status: creating common-src/amanda-int.h : _AMANDA_COMMON_SRC_AMANDA_INT_H
config.status: common-src/amanda-int.h is unchanged

It looks like I can start to run make, but there is no make to run.

"no make to run"???  You mean there is no Makefile?
It should be been created just before.  Is it there?
Does it contain normal stuff?

Maybe you have some old invalid config from another architecture
in the tree?  Did you run "make distclean" in that case?  (I don't
know how to do that if there isn't a Makefile, which should have
been created...)

Out of diskspace?  Permission problems (e.g. root on an nfs-mount)?

I know this is a simple thing becuase a ran into the same problem a
long long time ago and don't remember what I did...

I'm getting to old to remember what I did last week.

My shell is BASH.  I put almost every path I can thin of the script
would use.  Not sure what else.

Too long paths make things confusing, or maybe you run into
silly limits on environment length in Solaris?  (Don't know
the maximumum, one some Unix-variant, long time ago, it was
10Kbytes; I believe Solaris 9 has much higher limits).
Also having directories in paths that point to retired nfs mounted
or automounted directories can result in weird behaviour.

Any more ideas??? Let me know

I guess you did try to "tar -zxvf amanda.xxx.tar.gz" in a clean
directory and try fresh again?
Did you try more caffeine?  Did you try more sleep? (first the latter
then the former, not reversed)