Amanda-Users

Re: suggestions for RH amanda installation

2004-05-29 20:17:42
Subject: Re: suggestions for RH amanda installation
From: John Bossert <jbossert AT affidian DOT com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 17:08:22 -0700
I'd suggest getting the DBA involved. If the database is running in ARCHIVEMODE, backing up the redo logfiles should be very doable, even with such a slow/small tapedrive. Depending, of course, on transaction volume. RMAN may be useful (though I have no experience (yet) in implementing it with Amanda...)

Then, full (database) backups can be scheduled based on the maximum acceptable recovery window.

Also, it's common to design Oracle implementations with multiple spindles, to spread I/O, even for relatively small databases. You may find that one drive is dedicated to the SYSTEM tablespace, etc., such that the amount of changed <user> data is pretty small. Likewise, if the DBA has any battle scars, he's mirroring his drives potentially reducing the amount of actual data even further.

-john

Jon LaBadie wrote:

Until now I've never seen a 240GB file system :))

Me neither, up to last week, when they called me for advice
how to backup a 800 GB filesystem (4 x 200 GB SATA disks), containing
one large Oracle database.  The hardware was completely configured
already, so was the database, so was the tapedrive.

The tapedrive was a DDS3 tape.

Anybody any idea?  (No budget for another tapedrive :-) )

Sometimes I really really get tired...