Amanda-Users

Re: suggestions for RH amanda installation

2004-05-29 18:07:03
Subject: Re: suggestions for RH amanda installation
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 18:02:21 -0400
On Saturday 29 May 2004 17:14, Paul Bijnens wrote:
>Jon LaBadie wrote:
>> Until now I've never seen a 240GB file system :))
>
>Me neither, up to last week, when they called me for advice
>how to backup a 800 GB filesystem (4 x 200 GB SATA disks),
> containing one large Oracle database.  The hardware was completely
> configured already, so was the database, so was the tapedrive.
>
>The tapedrive was a DDS3 tape.
>
>Anybody any idea?  (No budget for another tapedrive :-) )

A DDS3, for what could be an 800Gb database?  No way Jose`

Put that one in the presidents machine & let him get some first hand
experience with a PITA sized tape, its probably too small even for
his desktop machine.  :-)

You are going to have to be positively adamant about obtaining a drive
thats big enough for the job.  Sure you could give it a really long
dumpcycle *IF* the database can be grabbed in pieces.  The chances of
that are somewhere between slim and zip and awful close to zero...
Remember that chuncksize doesn't count when the tape is too small in
the first place.

When they balk at the cost of a drive big enough for backing that up,
just ask "What would it cost you to lose that database and have to
start from scratch?  Could your company survive?"

Surely any sane person would realise that $10K/$20K for a decent
library robot holding a couple of 70Gb(or more) drives is chump
change in comparison.  No budget is an excuse they will no doubt
blame on somebody on up the pecking order, in which case I'd try to
take it to that person on up the pecking order.  It is called a
C.O.D.B.

If that doesn't work, then I'm not sure I'd want to get further
involved, you may not get a check if things are that tight in the
first place.  That might also be a sales point.  They should be
willing to accept your expertise/experience in such matters.

To switch subjects in the middle of the conversation.

WRT JLB's question, one thing I've noted is that its a 7.3 system.
Now, I don't know off the top of my head, but you may want to check
out the maximum file size that old a version of ext2/3 can handle.
You would hate to set it all up, walk out the door, and have the
first, over 4Gb backup splatter itself all over the floor & the first
call you get about it is from the president of the company who has
smoke coming out of both ears.  Or was that what the holding disks
chuncksize was?, a workaround for 2Gb file size limits?

>Sometimes I really really get tired...

We all do, which is why I let one or two go by here lately,
particularly the ones that could be fixed with a cursory read of the
docs...

Thats combined with my not wanting to spout off like an expert on some
aspect I've little or no experience with.  Getting pickier in my old
age, that and the rise in my sugar.  Yeah, the doc gave me a glucose
meter the last time I was there.  Having a heck of a time keeping it
under 150.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: