Amanda-Users

Re: suggestions for RH amanda installation

2004-05-29 17:01:03
Subject: Re: suggestions for RH amanda installation
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 22:52:08 +0200
Hi, Jon,

on Samstag, 29. Mai 2004 at 20:07 you wrote to amanda-users:

JL> Until now I've never seen a 240GB file system :))

How do you feel about that ? ;-)

JL> Part of my concern is the age of the OS and the components.
JL> Don't suggest an OS upgrade, they use it for a very costly
JL> application and the app-vendor doesn't support anything more
JL> recent.

JL> Amanda is installed, but of course I want to get a recent snapshot
JL> so I can better us the file:driver.

JL> I see gcc 2.96 is already installed as is a libreadline (don't
JL> hold me to it, but I think 4.3).  Stupidly I forgot to check the
JL> tar version.  Any thoughts on the compiler and readline versions?

JL> Might installing newer compiler and libs upset the vendor's app?
JL> I must avoid that at all costs.

Frankly, I don't know that exactly, because I haven't used any
compiler older than 3.3.2 for quite a long time, but AFAIK you should
also be able to compile AMANDA with gcc 2.96. Maybe JLM can provide
you with infos on that. Aside from that, in my experience (and I
strongly assume, in yours, too) the procedure of uninstalling the old
release, compiling and installing the new one is a matter of minutes.

Which release of AMANDA is installed right now?

After re-reading my mail BEFORE sending it ( ;-) ):

(Why not just take some small linux-box with a recent release of
linux-gcc-amanda-whatever for the job? This would leave the app-server
untouched, you could even take this as an argument FOR the additional
linux-box. Maybe you could even keep the old AMANDA-client on the
app-box ...)

JL> The file systems are all ext3.  In reading the man pages I don't
JL> see any dump program that claims to handle ext3 FS, only ext2.
JL> Is that just old docs, or is there no dump available for ext3?

JL> BTW I'm aware of LT's rant about dump not being safe.

Quick googling told me that this should work out. ext3 is ext2 with
journals, not more, so this should work.

Look at this snip maybe:

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/ext3-users/2003-January/msg00034.html

Why not GNUtar?

JL> Along those lines, there is no file system snapshot capability
JL> in RH 7.3/ext3 is there?

JL> After compiling the server version of amanda, is it feasible/easy,
JL> to also compile just the client version on the server and build
JL> an rpm to install on the other 4 workstations?

I don't know about those two issues. Yet ;-)

JL> The client still has traditional views of backups (of course).
JL> So they are talking about periodically copying a day's backup
JL> to a tape device, avoiding the need to do a separate archival
JL> backup.  Silly persons :))  Considering I would be doing normal
JL> amanda type scheduling and using "virtual tapes" on the big disk,
JL> any ideas on an archival scheme that would fit amanda's and the
JL> client's view of the world?

Your question kind of surprises me ...

What would be the difference between "doing a separate archival
backup to tape" and "periodically copying a day's backup to a tape
device"?

Same manipulation to me. Changing tapes.

Sure you can tell me.

--
best regards,
Stefan.