Amanda-Users

Re: suggestions for RH amanda installation

2004-05-29 17:12:00
Subject: Re: suggestions for RH amanda installation
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 23:06:05 +0200
Jon LaBadie wrote:
I see gcc 2.96 is already installed as is a libreadline (don't
hold me to it, but I think 4.3).  Stupidly I forgot to check the
tar version.  Any thoughts on the compiler and readline versions?

Might installing newer compiler and libs upset the vendor's app?
I must avoid that at all costs.

I don't know, but I can avoid the dilemma.

What I do on all my systems, is installing my own packages in
a different directory,  /pkgs, and each program comes in its own
directory, which includes the version number:
/pkgs/amanda-2.4.4p2, /pkgs/gtar/1.13.25, etc.

And there is special program in /pkgs/graft-2.4, which creates
symlinks from all "current" versions in /opt/local/*

This combination makes it possible to install different versions
on one machine. And I leave the original version intact too.

If you put /opt/local/s?bin in the PATH, you get automatically
the stable, but recent versions.  And you can experiment with
older/newer version of specific programs by specifying the
command with full name /pkgs/amanda-2.4.4p2-20040510/bin/amdump.

You can find "graft" in:
  http://www.gormand.com.au/peters/tools/

The file systems are all ext3.  In reading the man pages I don't
see any dump program that claims to handle ext3 FS, only ext2.
Is that just old docs, or is there no dump available for ext3?

ext3 is the same as ext2, but has extensions for logging.
All the ext2 programs work on ext3 too.  You can mount an ext3
as an ext2 (and disable logging by doing this), and then
remount it as ext3 (and logging is enabled again).

Along those lines, there is no file system snapshot capability
in RH 7.3/ext3 is there?

Not in the filesystem (like Solaris UFS), but Linux provides
it in a layer below: in the volume manager.  The advantage then is
that anything on top of the volume manager, even ext2 or VFAT
filesystems, raw database files, have snapshotting ability.
I'm not sure if there is a volume manager in RH7.3, and if that
version can do snapshots. See: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

After compiling the server version of amanda, is it feasible/easy,
to also compile just the client version on the server and build
an rpm to install on the other 4 workstations?

yes.  But usually, I don't bother to compile client-only.
If you installed it in /pkgs/amanda-XXX, you can tar
that directory over to the clients too.

The client still has traditional views of backups (of course).
So they are talking about periodically copying a day's backup
to a tape device, avoiding the need to do a separate archival
backup.  Silly persons :))  Considering I would be doing normal
amanda type scheduling and using "virtual tapes" on the big disk,
any ideas on an archival scheme that would fit amanda's and the
client's view of the world?

Sometimes I just get tired of these questions :-)