Amanda-Users

Re: Archiving With Amanda?

2004-05-28 15:11:45
Subject: Re: Archiving With Amanda?
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 15:03:42 -0400
On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 08:51:49AM -0600, Steven Backus wrote:
> I have some files I'd like to permanently remove from my system
> (archiving to tape).

One point in addition to what everyone else has said:  it would
be wise to make at least two copies of the archive tape(s).
Media has a nasty habit of going bad over time.

When I had to archive and delete some data, this describes how I
made duplicates of the archive tapes:

(Simply amdumping twice would not make *identical* copies, since
the first run would change the files' last-access timestamps, if
nothing else.)

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
It must be said that they would have sounded better if the singer
wouldn't throw his fellow band members to the ground and toss the
drum kit around during songs.
        - Patrick Lenneau