Amanda-Users

Re: Archiving With Amanda?

2004-05-28 11:05:53
Subject: Re: Archiving With Amanda?
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 17:03:09 +0200
Hi, Steven,

on Freitag, 28. Mai 2004 at 16:51 you wrote to amanda-users:

SB> I have some files I'd like to permanently remove from my system
SB> (archiving to tape).  It would be nice to have them listed in
SB> amanda's index and have amanda keep track of them for me.  Does
SB> anyone know a way to do this?

Simple solution:

Do a full backup of those files to a tape in your tapecycle.

Mark it as "no-reuse" with

amadmin <conf> no-reuse <TAPE-LABEL>

You can browse it via amrecover, but AMANDA will not ask for that tape
again for a dump. This is a common solution for doing things like
monthly-archive-tapes or similar things.

Better solution:

Setup a config for archiving, with dumpcycle 0, record no, and put
your files onto the tapes of this config.

--
best regards,
Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger