Amanda-Users

Re: amdump fails with badly formatted response from

2004-05-27 06:35:00
Subject: Re: amdump fails with badly formatted response from
From: Stefan Noll <s.noll AT metrix DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 12:32:15 +0200
Hallo Paul,

thank you for your help.
I think, it would be good to document this at
http://www.amanda.org FAQ-O-Matic

Greetings
Stefan Noll

Paul Bijnens wrote:

Stefan Noll wrote:

Hallo from Germany,

OK.

I found the cause.
It is a bug that was solved only recently (dd. 14 april 2004):

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/amanda/amanda-2/common-src/dgram.c?r1=1.26&r2=1.27

In amdump.1 you find also the initial error:

planner: dgram_recv: recvfrom() failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
protocol packet receive: Resource temporarily unavailable
got a bad message, stopped at:
----
/var/samba/projekte/Laufende/mpc 90
----

All the other errors are caused by this error.
This error can happen when sending a very large udp packet in the reply.

Something interessting happened tonight.
I reduced the number of projects yesterday.
I commented out in the disklist some older and some greater projects.

Today I find 72 files amandad.XXXX.debug
one for each backup

That's good.  Lowering the number of entries in disklist
help indeed: the reply packet is smaller.

I notice you do use 2.4.4p2 on the server (and on neptun).  In that case
you can use the newer syntax (since 2.4.3) in the disklist, that helps
to split up large filesystems.

I would do something like this:

=======================================
neptun /var/samba/projekte/Laufende/BigProjekt comp-root-tar

neptun /var/samba/projekte/Laufende/A-D /var/samba/projekte/Laufende {
    comp-root-tar
    include './[A-Da-d]*'
    exclude append './BigProjekt'
    }

neptun /var/samba/projekte/Laufende/E-H /var/samba/projekte/Laufende {
    comp-root-tar
    include './[E-He-h]*'
    }

... and so on, and then finally:

neptun /var/samba/projekte/Laufende/X-Z /var/samba/projekte/Laufende {
    comp-root-tar
    include './[X-Zx-z]'
    }

neptun /var/samba/projekte/Laufende/Rest /var/samba/projekte/Laufende {
    comp-root-tar
    exclude './[A-Za-z]*'
    }

The trick is to find some pattern in the filenames to split up
the large filesystem.  As example I choose the first letter.
Also notice the last entry.  That one is very important too:
it backs up everything not included above (e.g. starting with
a number, or underscore or...).

Some very large projects can stil be done separate like the very first
one.  Notice it is excluded from the A-D part too (starts with a 'B').

This setup has the advantage of having some less entries, and if someone
adds a project, it is always included in some of the entries automatically without the amanda administrator's help.

Try this out and if it works, you can send a followup to the list,
so that others can learn what happened.