Amanda-Users

Re: amanda ufsdump backup failing-HELP FOR AMANDA NEWBIE

2004-05-07 10:22:22
Subject: Re: amanda ufsdump backup failing-HELP FOR AMANDA NEWBIE
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Joe Harpole <jharpole AT us.ibm DOT com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 16:20:01 +0200
Joe Harpole wrote:

I just started working on an account which is using amanda to do some of its backups of unix servers. I have one backup set where a certain Sun server fails every day with the message 'sendbackup: index tee cannot write [Broken pipe]' and there is a core dump in /tmp/amanda on the

This comes up now and then.  Never found the cause/solution neither.
But the good news is that nobody ever noticed a core dump, but you do!
Interesting!, because up to now, I had no clue why this happened.

Can you find out which program core dumps? ("file core" would give
a clue maybe).  If it is ufsrestore, then there is maybe a filename
with a strange name that makes "ufsrestore -t" dump core, breaking the
so called "index tee".

If it is an amanda program, could can you stackstrace it?

A workaround is to disable the index for that filesystem.  Then you got
a backup at least.  Then try to make an index manually using
"ufsretore -t" from that backup image.

Another possibility is to locate the exact command in /tmp/amanda
and run that one by hand.

There are no messages in /var/adm/messages on the client or the amanda server.

Have a look in all the debug files in /tmp/amanda too. especially in
the sendbackup.* files.