Amanda-Users

Help with teaching Amanda tape rotation

2004-05-07 12:28:01
Subject: Help with teaching Amanda tape rotation
From: Chris Cameron <chris AT upnix DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 10:03:10 -0600
I'm hoping someone here will be kind enough to help me teach Amanda
about our tape rotation. I've read through man pages and mailing lists,
but it seems the way Amanda deals with tapes doesn't lend itself well to
our rotation schedule.

I'll spare you a complete explanation of our backup system, and just
tell you where I've run into trouble.

Tapes used on Thursday are sent offsite, and we receive an old offsite
tape back to use for next Thursday. The tape we write to each Thursday
is from 4 months earlier for that same week (so 3rd week of May, we get
the tape used the 3rd week of January).

On the last Thursday of every month, rather than write to an old tape we
take a new tape and send it offsite, never to return (we hope).

So, the tact on this I've taken is trying to use different
configurations, which works well. However the problem I have is that
some months will have 5 thursdays, while others only 4. What this meant
in the past was some tapes made on the final (non-permanent offsite)
week would stay offsite until another month came around with 5 Thursdays
in it, which at times can be at least a year.

Is there any chance of getting Amanda to ask for the right tapes with
this kind of setup? Do I have any alternatives? Up until now I'd just
kill the tapelist file and start over.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

--