Amanda-Users

SUMMARY: amanda ufsdump backup failing-HELP FOR AMANDA NEWBIE

2004-05-20 04:04:18
Subject: SUMMARY: amanda ufsdump backup failing-HELP FOR AMANDA NEWBIE
From: Joe Harpole <jharpole AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:08:38 -0500

Thanks to all who helped.

It turned out I had a corrupted gzip module on the client. I replace the gzip (& gunzip and zcat) and the dumps have been working very well.

The amanda I inherited is labeled as 2.5.0 and apparently has some local mods for tuning which were made by folks who have since left. Should be fun in the future.

Joe Harpole, Unix System Administrator
IBM Global Services
Phones Voice Fax
(314) 234-8430 (314) 233-8424
Sky-tel Pager: 8883129227 (3129227 AT skytel DOT com)
Cell Phone/Pager: 1-618-670-9032
Web Paging: http://messagings.sprintpcs.com/textmessaging/compose?phoneNumber=6186709032
Inactive hide details for Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>

          Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>

          05/07/2004 09:20 AM

Joe Harpole/St Louis/IBM@IBMUS

cc

amanda-users AT amanda DOT org

Subject

Re: amanda ufsdump backup failing-HELP FOR AMANDA NEWBIE

Joe Harpole wrote:

> I just started working on an account which is using amanda to do some of
> its backups of unix servers. I have one backup set where a certain Sun
> server fails every day with the message 'sendbackup: index tee cannot
> write [Broken pipe]' and there is a core dump in /tmp/amanda on the

This comes up now and then.  Never found the cause/solution neither.
But the good news is that nobody ever noticed a core dump, but you do!
Interesting!, because up to now, I had no clue why this happened.

Can you find out which program core dumps? ("file core" would give
a clue maybe).  If it is ufsrestore, then there is maybe a filename
with a strange name that makes "ufsrestore -t" dump core, breaking the
so called "index tee".

If it is an amanda program, could can you stackstrace it?

A workaround is to disable the index for that filesystem.  Then you got
a backup at least.  Then try to make an index manually using
"ufsretore -t" from that backup image.

Another possibility is to locate the exact command in /tmp/amanda
and run that one by hand.

> There are no messages in /var/adm/messages on the client or the amanda
> server.

Have a look in all the debug files in /tmp/amanda too. especially in
the sendbackup.* files.

--
Paul Bijnens, Xplanation                            Tel  +32 16 397.511
Technologielaan 21 bus 2, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM    Fax  +32 16 397.512

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image