Amanda-Users

Re: nfs mounted executable

2004-02-18 17:56:27
Subject: Re: nfs mounted executable
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:54:40 -0500
On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 02:30:05PM -0800, DK Smith wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was experimenting with a different installation strategy... That is,
> in order to not install amanda on every host... I am attempting to
> place a single amanda installation on a file server; making it
> available via an NFS share. The nfs-clients of the same architecture
> (in this case Linux RH8.0) mount this NFS share and run the amanda
> programs... (the tape server and the amanda clients).
>
> The first problem I hit when running amcheck on the tape server was
> that of the shared libraries.  (so this is quickly turning into NOT an
> amanda question <grin>)
>
>         amcheck: error while loading shared libraries:
> libamserver-2.4.4p2.so:
>         cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> Maybe someone that has been down this road before can tell me, "stop
> now" as this is not practical, or something similar? Or is there a
> config option to not build shared libraries and hence another host
> would not look for them at the same hard-coded path (in which the
> particular binary was built)

    $ configure --help | egrep 'lib|share'

    `/usr/local/bin', `/usr/local/lib' etc.  You can specify
      --libexecdir=DIR        program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
      --datadir=DIR           read-only architecture-independent data
[PREFIX/share]
      --sharedstatedir=DIR    modifiable architecture-independent data
[PREFIX/com]
      --libdir=DIR            object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
      --enable-shared=PKGS    build shared libraries default=yes
      --enable-static=PKGS    build static libraries default=yes
      --disable-libtool-lock  avoid locking (might break parallel builds)
      --with-libraries=DIR    site library directories for readline, etc in DIR
      --with-mmap             force use of mmap instead of shared memory support

Don't know for sure, but --enable-static sounds like a winner.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)