Amanda-Users

Re: nfs mounted executable

2004-02-18 17:55:24
Subject: Re: nfs mounted executable
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: DK Smith <dks AT mediaweb DOT com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:52:14 +0100
DK Smith wrote:

I was experimenting with a different installation strategy... That is, in order to not install amanda on every host... I am attempting to place a single amanda installation on a file server; making it available via an NFS share. The nfs-clients of the same architecture (in this case Linux RH8.0) mount this NFS share and run the amanda programs... (the tape server and the amanda clients).

I have done this too. It works without any problem.
But I do have a somewhat special directory layout for this purpose.
All executables are on a readonly exported drive. That permits to failover to another server with a mirror of the share when one nfs
server goes down.
Each client accesses this directory tree through symlinks, created
by the "graft" program http://www.gormand.com.au/peters/tools/graft/graft.html .
This way I can install multiple versions of a program on that nfs share
and have each client choose which version are active.
The writeable, configuration specific directories are on a local subdirectory on each client.

The first problem I hit when running amcheck on the tape server was that of the shared libraries. (so this is quickly turning into NOT an amanda question <grin>)

Currently, my Linux tape server is completely standalone. But the
previous one used to share the executables, like above.  That worked
fine too (but it was on Solaris).

amcheck: error while loading shared libraries: libamserver-2.4.4p2.so:

Is it there?  What does "ldd /usr/local/sbin/amcheck" say about the
location of the libraries?

--
Paul @ Home