Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck auth problem (was: amcheck Host Down?????)

2004-02-10 05:34:12
Subject: Re: amcheck auth problem (was: amcheck Host Down?????)
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 05:30:44 -0500
On Tuesday 10 February 2004 04:41, Sören Edzen wrote:
>* Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net> [2004-02-09 22:02]:
>
>Hi!
>I'm a newbee on amanda and haven't yet managed to get amanda to
>work. The problem in this thread is similar to the one I have. I've
>tried the solution sugested by Gene Haskett.
>I have made the changes you sugested in the files amanda, amandaidx
>and amidxtape located in /etc/xinetd.d/ . I have the following in
>[amanda home]/.amandahosts(indented here only for visability):
>    localhost amanda
>    amanda AT zampo.edzen DOT net  amanda
>    root@localhost  root
>    root AT zampo.edzen DOT net    root

remove the mailing address and @ sign, all you want is the FQDN and
the user.  And I don't think you need the localhost entry, which is
best not to use around amanda because its not unique to that machine.
So you want:

zampo.edzen.net amanda
zampo.edsen.net root

only.
>In /etc/hosts I have the following(there's more entries by I don't
> think it's relavent):
>127.0.0.1   localhost
>192.168.0.10    zampo.edzen.net     zampo
>
>The linuxbox is on a private network. I'm running Suse Linux 9
>kernel 2.4.21-166-athlon.
>Amanda is the rpm that comes with the Suse distro.
>When I run amcheck as the amanda user I get the following:
>
>    Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>    -----------------------------
>    Holding disk /amanda_dump: 14451456 KB disk space available,
> using 14430976 KB
>    amcheck-server: slot 1: date 20040206 label zampo-01 (exact
> label match)
>    NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
>    Tape zampo-01 label ok
>    Server che(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4p1)
>    Server check took 10.709 seconds
>
>    Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>    --------------------------------
>    ERROR: zampo: [access as amanda not allowed from
>    amanda AT zampo.edzen DOT net] amandahostsauth failed
>    Client check: 1 host checked in 0.056 seconds, 1 problem found
>
>    (brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4p1)
>
>As you can see the user amanda is not allowed access from
>amanda AT zampo.edzen DOT net. What does this error point to?
>Is it the holding disk, the files to backup or what?
>
>If you need any futher info just tell me and I suppliy it.
>By the way, is it really so that there's problems with the rpm
>versions of Amanda? If it is I'll try to locate the script you
>mentioned and install from source.
>
>TIA
>Sören

I hpoe this does it since I'm about to go warm up the car for the trip
to pittsburg.  I'll be out of pocket till 03/01/2004.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: