Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck Host Down?????

2004-02-09 08:33:02
Subject: Re: amcheck Host Down?????
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: todd zenker <todd.e.zenker.1 AT gsfc.nasa DOT gov>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 08:31:02 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 at 8:28am, todd zenker wrote

> I've read the FAQ's on this and still nothing seems to work.  I get Host down.
> What I need is a checklist to make sure I'm not missing anything.
> Amandad does pooop out after I run the amcheck command.
>
> I'm trying to test my backup machine before I start testing others machines.
>
> * Running Redhat 9.  Amanda 2.4.4.p1.
> * I run Amandad from command line.

?????  amandad needs to be run from xinetd.

> * Disklist
>          mountain hda2 comp-user
> * I have no disk pool at all. All data is to go directly to tape.
> * Tape is labeled.
> * /etc/hosts I do have an entry
> * No ipchains running or portsentry.
> * /etc/services   Not sure if any of these are correct
>          amanda 10080/udp
>          amanda 10080/tcp
>          kamanda 10081/udp
>          amandiax 10082/tcp

It sounds like you don't have amandad setup in xinetd.  Put this in
/etc/xinetd.d/amanda
service amanda
{
        protocol                = udp
        socket_type             = dgram
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = amanda
        group                   = disk
        server                  = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
}

Restart xinetd and then try amcheck.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain