Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck Host Down?????

2004-02-09 10:40:12
Subject: Re: amcheck Host Down?????
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 10:36:37 -0500
On Monday 09 February 2004 08:28, todd zenker wrote:
>I've read the FAQ's on this and still nothing seems to work.  I get
> Host down. What I need is a checklist to make sure I'm not missing
> anything. Amandad does pooop out after I run the amcheck command.
>
>I'm trying to test my backup machine before I start testing others
> machines.
>
>* Running Redhat 9.  Amanda 2.4.4.p1.

>From rpm's I take it.  Possibly bad, I don't use them myself.  Too
many problems & my re-install from tarball anytime Jean-Louis
releases a new snapshot is a 4 minute job using my own install
script.  One *must* have a repeatable configuration.  I posted that
script here not too many days ago.

>* I run Amandad from command line.
>* Disklist
>         mountain hda2 comp-user
>* I have no disk pool at all. All data is to go directly to tape.

Why not, a simple /dumps dir is all you need as long as it belongs to
the user:group that runs amanda.  It will transiently use about the
tapes capacity for each run, being emptied out as its written to
tape.  By furnishing an elastic buffer between amanda's work and the
tape drive, it stops any shoe-shining of the drive because the
machine cannot keep up and still compress the data too, and will
often reduce total backup times by usefull amounts.  Here, most
nights, when the drive starts, it runs non-stop till its done.

>* Tape is labeled.
>* /etc/hosts I do have an entry
>* No ipchains running or portsentry.
>* /etc/services   Not sure if any of these are correct
>         amanda 10080/udp
>         amanda 10080/tcp
>         kamanda 10081/udp
>         amandiax 10082/tcp

What about the stuff in /etc/xinetd.d?  You need to have something
resembling this in there:
----/etc/xinetd.d/amanda----
# default = off
#
# This is the list of daemons & such it needs
service amanda
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = dgram
        protocol        = udp
        wait            = yes
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
}
service amandaidx
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
}
service amidxtape
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
}
----EOF, /etc/xinetd.d/amanda----

And you need (probably) a /home/amanda/.amandahosts file that contains
---
FQDN    amanda
FQDN    root
---
and is owned by amanda

Or in other words, the FQDN of the machine  and its user as the first
line, and a second line of FQDN and user root so recovery/restore
works.  The FQDN's (and any aliases of them) of course must be in
the /etc/hosts file, or available from a dns server.

>Todd E. Zenker
>CNE-GSFC
>Nasa Goddard Space Flight Center
>Mailstop 200.1
>
>http://cne.gsfc.nasa.gov
>https://webdrive.gsfc.nasa.gov

Glad to see yet another government agency using this fine bit of
software.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: