Amanda-Users

Re: amrmtape question

2004-02-06 03:45:39
Subject: Re: amrmtape question
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Kin-Ho Kwan <kkwan AT hxti DOT com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:40:49 +0100
Kin-Ho Kwan wrote:

I think there should be a command that can completely remove the tape from the Amanda list (remove the label, remove it from the tapelist etc). This will be useful when we need the Amanda tape to do something else, and that's the probelm I am facing now.

Did I miss something? amrmtape lets amanda forget about the tape,
including the tapelist.  Amanda will never ask for that tape again.
You may use tape to for anything now, including as decoration in
the christmas tree.

But the label is still on the tape. You can overwrite it with any
program.  There is nothing special about the label: it's just the
first bytes on tape.
I doubt any program (except another amanda config) will check
for the label and refuse to write to the tape because it supposedly
owned by amanda.  (It's good that another amanda config checks, because
the chance that you mix up tapes between configurations is much higher
than using a tape for non-amanda purposes.)

But, because the label matches the regexp, amanda won't refuse the
tape next time. Amanda sees it as a new tape (except if you overwrote
the label).

What is the advantage of insisting that the label should be in tapelist
too, before amanda accepts the tape?

Christoph Scheeder wrote:

Hi,

amrmtape only removes the entrys for the tape from all databases,
but amanda will happily use it if she sees it again as the label
on tape is not touched at all.

The question is what should be achieved:

1.) make amanda forget about the backups on that tape?
-> ok, amrmtape is your friend, it does what you want.

2.) you want amanda to reject the tape when she sees it again?
-> "amadmin <config> <tape-label> noreuse" marks the tape as
   "this tape is not allowed to be overwrite by amanda"

3.) you want to delete the amanda tapelabel and all other data
    from the tape, so amnda doesn't touch it anymore?
-> use dd to overwrite the first block on the tape with 0 or random data.