Amanda-Users

Re: amrmtape question

2004-02-05 15:22:09
Subject: Re: amrmtape question
From: Kin-Ho Kwan <kkwan AT hxti DOT com>
To: Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:10:04 -0500
I think there should be a command that can completely remove the tape from the Amanda list (remove the label, remove it from the tapelist etc). This will be useful when we need the Amanda tape to do something else, and that's the probelm I am facing now.

Kin-Ho Kwan

Christoph Scheeder wrote:
Hi,

amrmtape only removes the entrys for the tape from all databases,
but amanda will happily use it if she sees it again as the label
on tape is not touched at all.

The question is what should be achieved:

1.) make amanda forget about the backups on that tape?
-> ok, amrmtape is your friend, it does what you want.

2.) you want amanda to reject the tape when she sees it again?
-> "amadmin <config> <tape-label> noreuse" marks the tape as
   "this tape is not allowed to be overwrite by amanda"

3.) you want to delete the amanda tapelabel and all other data
    from the tape, so amnda doesn't touch it anymore?
-> use dd to overwrite the first block on the tape with 0 or random data.

Christoph