Amanda-Users

Re: does amanda count in days or in tapes?

2004-02-06 03:48:44
Subject: Re: does amanda count in days or in tapes?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: el AT infochem DOT de
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:46:46 +0100
Eugen Leitl wrote:

I'm trying to simulate a backup cycle in an accelerated manner.

If I use multiple tapes/day, does amanda count in tapes or in days,
as reckoned using system clock?

It's a little bit mixed.  The initial design was to run once a day.
Planner takes the decisions based on days.
Also amrecover locates an image by day.

You may run amanda more than once on a day, but the accounting is
done using datestamps, not using datetimestamps.  I do it many
times in my test-environment.
Planner does not generate an optimal mix of levels in these cases.
If you want to restore from another image than the first of that day,
you need to use position the tape yourself and use amrestore instead
of amrecover.