Amanda-Users

Re: RedHat 7.2 Client timing out?

2004-02-05 06:29:42
Subject: Re: RedHat 7.2 Client timing out?
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Michael Kahle <michael.kahle AT scc-wi DOT com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 06:20:55 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 at 2:20am, Michael Kahle wrote

> When I tail the log that amdump creates on the server it gives me the
> message:
>
> START planner date 20040205
> INFO planner Adding new disk fs:md0.
> START driver date 20040205
> FAIL planner fs md0 0 [Request to fs timed out.]
> FINISH planner date 20040205
> [...etc...]

The tool you want to use to debug this is 'amcheck', not amdump.  This is
a very common error message with new setups.  There are several possible
fixes here:

http://amanda.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/16.html

> Is there anyone out there that could help me shed some light on this?
> Should I scratch the RPM's and simply recompile my own amanda version from
> source?  Are there known problems with this version?

Well, 7.2 is pretty darn old.  But you should be able to get this to work.
Go through the FAQ-O-Matic stuff above, look in /tmp/amanda on the client,
and see if you can get amcheck happy.  If none of that works, come on back
with the exact error messages and any relevant log files.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering