Amanda-Users

RedHat 7.2 Client timing out?

2004-02-05 03:38:08
Subject: RedHat 7.2 Client timing out?
From: Michael Kahle <michael.kahle AT scc-wi DOT com>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 02:20:45 -0600
Good evening... er... morning.

I have just finished configuring Amanda for the first time ever.  It seems
to be working just fine locally, but backing up a remote client is giving me
some problems.

My amanda-server is a IBM Netfinity 5500 w/ a ServeRAID controller.  I am
running a semi-stock 2.4.18 kernel with only the ServeRAID drivers compiled
in.  I have installed amanda using apt-get and configured it for my Quantum
SuperLoader DLT 1280L.  After an evening of monkeying around, I feel quite
satisfied with what I have accomplished thus far.

The DLT is working fine.  Using amdump I am able to backup my home directory
on this backup server.  The autoloader is moving tapes around using the
"chg-zd-mtx" bridge script. (Any advantage/disadvantage to using this -vs.-
the "chg-scsi-chio"?)  The bar code scanner is reporting back info on my
tapes, etc.

The package maintainer for the Debian package (Amanda-2.4.2p2) uses "backup"
as the amanda user.  On the client machine I am trying to backup (RedHat
7.2), the rpm (amanda-2.4.2p2-4) uses the user "amanda" as the amanda user.
Could this be the source of my woes?

When I tail the log that amdump creates on the server it gives me the
message:

START planner date 20040205
INFO planner Adding new disk fs:md0.
START driver date 20040205
FAIL planner fs md0 0 [Request to fs timed out.]
FINISH planner date 20040205
[...etc...]

I am able to resolve the host "fs" from my backup server.  I am 99% sure
this is something wrong with the RH server.  I have been a Debian user for
about 5 years now and hate having to ever touch a RH server.  I just don't
know where anything is... I don't understand the organization.

Is there anyone out there that could help me shed some light on this?
Should I scratch the RPM's and simply recompile my own amanda version from
source?  Are there known problems with this version?

Pardon me if I forgot to include any relevant data.  It is waaaaaaaay past
my bed time and I'm afraid I don't have my full wits about me.

Thank you for your time.

Michael

P.S. - As a side note.  The largest problem I had when installing was
getting the "chg-zd-mtx" configuration to work.  Only after inspecting the
source for this script was I easily able to configure using the author's
instructions.  Perhaps you should include a sample configuration with your
docs... or do you? and I was just too tired to see?  Until tomorrow...