Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover with file: driver

2004-01-26 17:02:42
Subject: Re: amrecover with file: driver
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:54:13 +0100
Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
Hi, Eric,

on Montag, 26. Jänner 2004 at 21:11 you wrote to amanda-users:

ED> That s a bit strange.
ED> my amrecover can change tape and find the good.
ED> you have to put the following parameter in amanda.conf
ED> amrecover_changer "/dev/null"
ED> and to launch amrecover in that way
ED> amrecover -d /dev/null

ED> then the tape server will use the changer specified in the amanda.conf
ED> file to find the good tape.

ED> hope that helps

Thank you, Eric.

My quick greps through the sources did not find that this SHOULD work
like this, but maybe someone tells us if this is intended.

Marc, could you test Eric's solution in your installation and report
your results?

The way it is intended, and the way it works too, is that you
specify a string in amanda.conf with the directive

   amrecover_changer "thestring"

and you instruct amrecover to use the changer with the command

   settape thestring

It is just a way to name the changer.
As name "thestring" you can use anything.

If you have set up in amanda.conf:  amrecover_changer "foobar"
and then instruct in amrecover "settape foobar", then amanda
will use the changer.

To avoid confusion, it is best to avoid names that seem to
indicate something else, like "/dev/null", or "nocompression",
or "Legato".

Just like:  "mkdir file; touch file/directory"

--
Paul @ Home