Amanda-Users

Re: Soalris client backup problem

2004-01-15 13:03:39
Subject: Re: Soalris client backup problem
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:01:52 -0500
On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 04:43:55PM -0000, Stephen Yeates wrote:

> > > I have gnutar in /usr/local/bin on the Solaris machine, how do
> > > I force Amanda to use this instead of the standard Solaris tar
> > > is GNUTAR not coded into Amanda at compile time?
> >
> > From your original posting:

> >                                        ^^^
> >
> > Which tar is this?  Likely not /usr/local/bin/tar.
> >

> I'm running this amrestore command on the Amanda tape server a Debian
> box
> not restoring straight to the Solaris client box.
>
> The default on the tape server running Debian is gnu tar but I thionk
> you may be right I have backed up the Solaris client with Solaris tar.

That is a NO-NO.

> how do I ensure the backup tar is using gnu tar on the Solaris client.

Configure it in with "--with-gnutar=xyz" or some option like that.
Configure --help may list the valid options.

Note, this is on the Solaris box.
And before redoing the configure, be sure to get rid of the configure cache.
One way is to run "make distclean".

Also, be sure the gnutar on the solaris box is a suitable version;
prefered is 1.13.25.  When sun supplies one it is often 1.13.  I.e.,
1.13.0???

> Solaris-client(bash)# which tar
> /usr/bin/tar
>
> Solaris-client:/usr/bin/tar -version
> Usage: tar {txruc}[vfbFXhiBEelmopwnq[0-7]] [-k size] [tapefile]
> [blocksize] [exclude-file] [-I include-file] files ...
>
> Solaris-client (bash)# /usr/local/bin/tar --version
> tar (GNU tar) 1.13

Ahh, even this is not good, see above.

Get thee to alpha.gnu.org with ftp and download 1.13.25.
There will be V. recent versions like 1.13.92, but for
now ignore them.  Get and build .25.

When I put it on the system, I name it "amgtar" to avoid conflict
with other tars.  I.e. THE gtar intended for amanda.  And I use the
--with-gnutar ... to point to the proper version.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)