Amanda-Users

Re: Unable to backup clients [possibly fixed!]

2004-01-13 12:36:52
Subject: Re: Unable to backup clients [possibly fixed!]
From: Mike Heller <mike AT dsny DOT com>
To: donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:37:57 -0800
Hello again Don,

Well, I recompiled with the options you suggested, updated my /etc/services, and opened up the firewall on the server and clients on the ports specified.  I ran a small test backup and it seems to have worked with no errors.  The whole process was a bit confusing because of how the ports are used.

I'll run the full backups tonight to see how they do.  Thank you kindly, your help is very appreciated.

Mike

donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com wrote:
Mike:

The Amanda entries in /etc/services are unchanged from the stock Amanda settings.

# AMANDA (Advanced Maryland Automated Network Disk Archiver)
#
# Amanda 2.2 service
#
amanda          10080/udp
amandaidx       10082/tcp
amidxtape       10083/tcp

What changes with the portrange and udpportrange are the unadvertised and random ports that Amanda uses to perform the work of backup and recovery.  The Amanda UDP port on 10080 is (apparently) used for job control and reporting between amanda servers and clients.  The actual backup is done on three TCP ports allocated to each backup task (for standard-in, standard-out, and standard-error connects from the server to the client).

You will need firewall ports opened for all three Amanda ports, but the Amanda 10080 port must be open from the server to the clients for initiating and controlling backups.  The other two must be open from the clients to the server, since they are used by the clients to request an amrecover or amrestore session.

Good luck and best wishes,

Don

Donald L. (Don) Ritchey