Amanda-Users

AMANDA in the holidays

2004-01-05 11:44:16
Subject: AMANDA in the holidays
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 17:39:57 +0100
Hello, amanda-users,

another question I find the time to ask because I am at home at last
;)

---

In the last days I get problems at one client´s site when AMANDA runs
into degraded mode. This happens more often right now because of all
the holidays ...

When there is no tape inserted, AMANDA gets somewhat stuck somewhere.

It starts with an amcheck-report like:

Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /home/amhold: 14490572 KB disk space available, using 12442572 KB
ERROR: /dev/nst0: rewinding tape: No medium found
       (expecting tape DAILY23 or a new tape)

Ok, no problem ... go into degraded mode ...
After amdump it says:

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [rewinding tape: No medium found].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DAILY23.

Sounds still ok.
The next amcheck says:

Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /home/amhold: 6975128 KB disk space available, using 4927128 KB
ERROR: /dev/nst0: tape_rdlabel: tape open: /dev/nst0: Device or resource busy
       (expecting tape DAILY23 or a new tape)

Device busy? Seems like there is still something accessing the
tapedevice.

When I look for amanda-processes I find that there are 2 amdumps still
running and 2 amverify-processes. Does not sound ok anymore.

I assume that I should change my crontab ...

It looks like this right now:

0 13 * * 1-5 /usr/local/sbin/amcheck -m daily
30 2 * * 2-6 /usr/local/sbin/amdump daily && /usr/local/sbin/amverify daily &&
/usr/bin/mt -f /dev/st0 offl

I noticed that I try to take /dev/st0 offl instead of /dev/nst0.
Does that matter?

Why does amverify start when there is no/the wrong tape inserted?

Shouldn´t amcheck/amdump notice that there is still some
amdump/amverify active?

I assume I should write some small script that removes the "&&" from
my crontab.

Thanks for help.

--
best regards,