Amanda-Users

Re: AMANDA in the holidays

2004-01-05 15:12:11
Subject: Re: AMANDA in the holidays
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:10:52 +0100
Hi, Jean-Louis,

on Montag, 05. Jänner 2004 at 19:57 you wrote to amanda-users:

>> Why does amverify start when there is no/the wrong tape inserted?

JLM> You should use amverifyrun instead of amverify.

>> Shouldn´t amcheck/amdump notice that there is still some
>> amdump/amverify active?

JLM> amverify doesn't use the lock, maybe it should?

So amverify just TRIES to read the actual inserted tape?
I am gonna edit the crontab to use amverifyrun now.

What do you mean by "the lock"? The use of a lockfile to prevent
amdump from running?

As JL noticed (and as you could read due to my mistake):

> A state diagram
>
>    State #       Dump Succeeded    Tape Succeeded    Return Code
>       1               Yes               Yes               0      (success)
>       2               No                No            non-zero   (failure)
>       3               Yes               No               ???
>

> The && only operates on 2 states, success or failure.
> You are expecting state 3 to be considered a failure.
> Apparently someone coding amdump considered it more a success than you do.

I could not find errorcodes for amdump.
It´s ok to return 0 because amdump ran through but it does not tell
anything if the dump went to tape or not.

So I would suggest to return something >0 if there was no tape used.
Maybe it is done already and I haven´t found it out yet.
But then my &&-command should have worked out, or not?

Using amverifyrun seems to be the solution for the particular case.
"Using the lock" should be discussed by more amanda-users, I assume.

Thank you.

--
best regards,
Stefan