Amanda-Users

Samba backup with excludes ...

2004-01-05 04:23:31
Subject: Samba backup with excludes ...
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:20:43 +0100
Hello, amanda-users,

welcome back to another round of discussing Samba-excludes ...

I set up an AMANDA server these days. Its job is to backup one
Windows-Server. This Win-box shares one big directory which contains
several directories which should not be backed up due to their size
and the fact that the data they contain can be easily rebuilt from
other media like CD-ROM and such.

As there were only 30 items in the share I approached it by just
creating one DLE per directory to give AMANDA room to juggle.

For example there were dirs like "1990", "1991" and such.
I created DLEs for the dirs that should be backed up and created none
for the others.

Now the question:

How would you make sure that newly created directories are catched by
AMANDA?

All this shouts "exclude list" loud, I hear it, but I don´t have it.

Or would something like this work (give the fact that we can only
exclude one item with smbclient):

# disklist

backup //server/data/ {
nt-data-tar
include "./e*"
exclude "./excluded-directory"
} 1

I could do this because I have the luck to have just one dir to be
excluded starting with "A", "F" and "L", for example.

So I would have to create 26 DLEs ...

It seems that I don´t get my head around this right now. Must be the
flu I caught ...

--
best regards,
Stefan G. Weichinger