Amanda-Users

Re: database01 /export lev 0 FAILED 20031222[could not connect to database01]

2003-12-22 11:48:00
Subject: Re: database01 /export lev 0 FAILED 20031222[could not connect to database01]
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Dean Pullen <dean.pullen AT virtuefusion DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:44:32 -0600
--On Monday, December 22, 2003 16:23:29 +0000 Dean Pullen <dean.pullen AT
virtuefusion DOT com> wrote:

> I'm getting a failure when running amdump.
> database01 /export lev 0 FAILED 20031222[could not connect to database01]
>
> It seems I'm having a few different packets dropped to different ports when
> using amdump, so presumably this is the problem.
>
> What ports does amanda use? I'm seeing ports such as 32776, 32777, 32778 etc
> appear in my shorewall packet drop log.
>
> Dean.

Unless you built Amanda to only use a certain port range, the
data is sent back to random high  ports (the PORT.USAGE file in
the docs directory of the source has all the details). To run
Amanda through a firewall, you either need to build it with the
port range options and allow those ranges through your firewall,
allow all high ports through your firewall from your clients to
your server, or use an iptables firewall (the latest versions
have Amanda support buit in).
   Which one you choose is based on the security needs of your
environment.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Systems Administrator                           Voice: 512-374-4673