Amanda-Users

Re: question

2003-12-19 12:32:25
Subject: Re: question
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Sergei Karasiov <karasiov AT leivo DOT ru>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:29:55 -0500
On Friday 19 December 2003 06:21, Sergei Karasiov wrote:
>Paul Bijnens wrote:
>> Sergei Karasiov wrote:
>> > I have quantum DLT 4000 scsi tape device.
>> > It is rewinding device.
>>
>> All tapes are have the possibility of rewinding.  It's only a
>> matter of controlling when you want the tape to rewind.
>
>Thanks a lot -- I got it. So I have another question about amanda --
> I want to
>make increment backups i.e. I write full everyday-backup at Monday
> and every
>evening add diffs to tape after my full backup and ... etc

Because amanda will check the label to be sure its the right tape,
thereby rewinding the tape on each new daily invocation, it is not
possible to do incrementals appended to the same tape.  Most modern
drives can do an "seof", searching for the end of the last file, but
this is not a feature that amanda can depend on because of the word
"most".  So this ability has never been designed into amanda.

>But my quantum DLT ejects the tape after only full backup. I cannot
>remotely load the tape (its not a bug...I hope)-- so I have to go to
>another end of building
>(Excuse me for all this lyric stuff) to load it manually.
>
>I suppose I must look at "chg-manual" script but I have no idea how
> to explain  amanda not to eject tape after writing.

I'm using chg-scsi with a small 4 tape magazine changer.  ISTR there
is an "eject yes/no" line in one or the other configs. (amanda.conf,
chg-scsi.conf)  I'd assume thre is a similar definition in what ever
you are using.

>>   :-)  It's indeed very bad french  :-)   it looks even like
>>   : english.
>
>Thank you -- I hope it really looks like english :)

Pretty decent really, Sergei, our own schools here in the US aren't
doing that well today at teaching "english".  I personally find that
rather sad, but I have to give credit where its due, as I've never
learned enough of another language to converse in it, but you have
taken the time and effort to do so.  I applaud those whose native
tongue is not english, but who have learned it as well as you have.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: