Amanda-Users

Re: question

2003-12-19 05:16:58
Subject: Re: question
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Sergei Karasiov <karasiov AT leivo DOT ru>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:13:15 +0100
Sergei Karasiov wrote:

I have quantum DLT 4000 scsi tape device.
It is rewinding device.

All tapes are have the possibility of rewinding.  It's only a matter
of controlling when you want the tape to rewind.

The "rewinding" device rewinds the tape as soon as you close the
file used to read or write to the tape.  The next read or write on
that tape will start from the beginning.
The "non-rewinding" device does not rewind the tape when closing
the file.  The next open/read/write will read the next file or append
to the previous data on tape.

When you eject the tape, all modern tapedevices rewind automatically,
even when you used the non-rewinding device.

But amanda does not work with this device if I configure it as
rewinding. Only if I configure my DLT as non rewinding -- amanda works
fine.

Where is my misunderstending of rewinding-nonrewinding paradigm?

Amanda writes several files to the tape.  The first file is a small file
containing the tape label.  The next file is the first backup image and
so on.  If you use the rewinding device the first backup image will
overwrite the tapelabel, the second backup image will overwrite the first image...
By using the non-rewinding device, all these "files" are written one
after another to the tape.

On linux, read "man 4 st", on Solaris read "man -s 7d st".

---
P.S. Excuse my French.

 :-)  It's indeed very bad french  :-)   it looks even like english.