Amanda-Users

Re: AMANDA PROBLEM

2003-11-26 20:12:02
Subject: Re: AMANDA PROBLEM
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Curtis Vaughan <curtis AT npc-usa DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:08:12 -0500
On Wednesday 26 November 2003 17:42, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
>I have tried sending this to the Amanda Users list several times,
> but it will never go through.  Although just a test message goes
> through. Here we go again.
>
>So, here is the result of an amcheck.  What is the possible problem
>with the system?  Why is expecting a new tape?  Is there a way to
> reset the device and make it think there is a new tape in?  Thanks!
>
>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>Holding disk /var/tmp: 728376 KB disk space available, that's plenty
>ERROR: /dev/nst0: reading label: Input/output error
>        (expecting a new tape)

Either /dev/nst0 is something you don't have perms for, and that error
message doesn't indicate that to me, or the tape has never been
labeled by amlabel.  It could also come from a block size miss-match
IF you are not useing the default 512 byte blocks of most tape
formats.  But I doubt that and tend to look at the labeling of the
tape, or lack thereof.

>NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
>NOTE: info dir /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/curinfo: does not exist
>NOTE: it will be created on the next run
>NOTE: index dir /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/index/localhost: does not
>exist

Oh boy, here we go again.  Do NOT use localhost in your disklist
entries, use a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) that can at least
be looked up in your /etc/hosts file.

>Server check took 16.436 seconds
>
>(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.2p2)
>

>Curtis Vaughan