Amanda-Users

Re: help!! can't find my "1 problem"

2003-11-28 22:20:44
Subject: Re: help!! can't find my "1 problem"
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: jblackburn AT hirzel DOT com
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:13:42 -0600
I'm cc-ing this to the list, it will generally give you a quicker
response to direct follow-ups to the list instead of just the
individual that responded to the first question.  Also, it gets
added to the archives to help future users and gives the list
a chance to correct incomplete (or incorrect) answers, or point
out better ways of doing things in unusual situations.

--On Friday, November 28, 2003 11:21:24 -0500 jessica blackburn <jblackburn AT
hirzel DOT com> wrote:

> Thank you for the help!  I can't believe that I forgot to include the
> error message I received. It's telling me that it cannot find the
> localhost.  Maybe this is a stupid question, but I'm really new at
> this.  Thanks for any help!
>
> jess
>
>  -bash-2.05b$ /usr/sbin/amcheck DailySet1
> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> Holding disk /var/tmp: 29337136 KB disk space available, that's plenty
> amcheck-server: slot 1: date X        label DailySet100 (first labelstr
> match)
> NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
> Tape DailySet100 label ok
> Server check took 0.187 seconds
>
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> WARNING: localhost: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
> Client check: 1 host checked in 29.998 seconds, 1 problem found

First, I would recommend you not use 'localhost' in your disklist;
it will bite you someday in the future.  Use the machines fully-
qualified domain name (host.example.com) instead.
   As to the error message, there is a quite a bit about it on the
amanda.org web site, in the faq-o-matic:

http://amanda.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/16.html

Most likely your (x)inetd is not set up correctly for amanda, second
guess would be tcpwrapper/firewall problems.  Anything in syslog
or /tmp/amanda when amcheck runs?

Frank