Amanda-Users

Re: lots of virus e-mails & spam

2003-11-17 00:21:07
Subject: Re: lots of virus e-mails & spam
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Phil Homewood <pdh AT snapgear DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:31:09 -0500
On Sunday 16 November 2003 17:18, Phil Homewood wrote:
>Willy Wittesaele wrote:
>> it's now about 1 week that i'm subscribed to this list
>> because I just started using the amanda backup program
>> and this is the list that generates the most of spam and/or
>> virusses
>
>Ah, You want the amanda *backup* program. This appears to be the
>Antisocial Misdirected Autoresponder Notification Dumping Archive.
>I made the same mistake.
>
>:-/
>
>(Seriously, though: can we shoot the people who send this
>virus responder junk here? Or at least reject their mail
>at amanda.org before it gets to the lists? Please?)

I'll second that motion.  One message a few hours ago was stripped of
what I'd assume was a copy of swen, and that generated 5 more
autoresponder replies to be deleted.

OTOH, all 6, after the stripping by whatever stripped it, were about
130 kilobytes less than 1 copy of the virii, (140.5k) so we have a
net gain in usable bandwidth.

They get in because this is an open list.  However, after the last few
weeks I'd vote to close it, and allow read only of its archives for
the general public, with write privs only to those subscribed.  No
more trouble than it is to subscribe, and as quick as it can be done,
I don't see a very good reason to keep it open to every spam spewer
on the planet.

Oh, and I vote for the use of the 'shoot' option at least as a last
resort.

- --
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M