Amanda-Users

Re: lots of virus e-mails & spam

2003-11-16 21:17:04
Subject: Re: lots of virus e-mails & spam
From: Josh Welch <jwelch AT buffalowildwings DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:14:48 -0600
Steve Lane wrote:
On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 06:31:09PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

I'll second that motion.

---cut---

They get in because this is an open list. However, after the last few weeks I'd vote to close it, and allow read only of its archives for the general public, with write privs only to those subscribed. No more trouble than it is to subscribe, and as quick as it can be done, I don't see a very good reason to keep it open to every spam spewer on the planet.

Man, I second _that_ motion!!!

Oh, and I vote for the use of the 'shoot' option at least as a last resort.

First resort, anyone?

--
Steve Lane               /"\
Doudna Lab               \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign

It doesn't seem irrational to close the list to posting from subscribers only. Most of the lists I read these days require subscription for posting. You have to subscribe to read the list, and why would we want people posting who aren't interested in reading the list? It doesn't seem like it would be that much greater of a burden administratively speaking, so I don't know why it would be such a bad idea.

Of course, I don't run the list either, so its just me spewing electrons.

Josh